Sunday, January 8, 2012

Weathering the storm:

My mother used to call us (my siblings and I) Stoic.  I think it was more of a value she thought us Stowe’s should have and a nice play on words for her.  My mind has always been more photographic, and my thought turned into motion at the sound of the word.
                Vividly a man is standing on a ship, a large staunch, rugged, stocky man.  He is looking forward into the mist.  His back is turned from me.  All I can see is the surrounding vessel.  His eyes stern and focused, his whole body is steadfast and strong, flexed, not moving.  Panning out from him, I notice the movement of the ship as if rolls over the ocean’s waves. They are forcefully striking the ship, tossing up icy, frosty mist of salt water as they break over in surges.  The distance shows a never ending battle of elements … Clouds glume in the distance.  This man is not wavering; the storm strengthens him and gives him excitement, though not shown.  Who is he, why would he not turn back, and look to avoid this threat altogether.  I don’t think he has a choice.  The story is always lingering.  It will always be there.  Thought time there will always be an obstacle and opportunity.  His goals are in his eyes, his lively hood, and passions lie ahead.  His mind turns to the job at hand and his thoughts turn to action.
                This is the first time that I have turned this thought into words.  It empowers me more now and the picture in my mind, is more vivid than ever.  It is not easy to be stoic.  Why not ride the wave, allow others to make the decisions and hope all will be well.  Some might get lucky, and have all their dreams turn to reality, living life this way.  This attitude, for sure, will be misinterpreted as, cocky, hardened, passive-aggressive, stubborn … I must remember, that it is my actions that show truly who I am, and it doesn’t matter who is looking, or not looking.
On to the next adventure…Your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment